Squid 'jiggers' fleet at Zhoushan port
China reports that it 'continues to implement independent moratorium measures on high seas squid fishing in 2023'
Thursday, June 08, 2023, 01:00 (GMT + 9)
According to the website of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, in order to implement the concept of "a community of shared future in the ocean" and scientifically conserve and sustainably develop high seas fishery resources, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs has implemented voluntary fishing moratorium measures in some high seas for three consecutive years since 2020, and has achieved positive results.
In order to further promote the long-term sustainable use of high seas fishery resources and promote the standardized, orderly and high-quality development of China's distant water fishery, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs has decided to continue to implement the independent fishing moratorium measures on the high seas in 2023. The autonomous moratorium area is the Southwest Atlantic Ocean, North Indian Ocean, Eastern Pacific OceanPart of the high seas operating sea area. The relevant matters are hereby notified as follows.
1. Implementation sea area and time
- (1) From July 1st to September 30th, the high seas of the Southwest Atlantic between 32°S-44°S, 48°W-60°W;
- (2) From July 1st to September 30th, the high seas of the North Indian Ocean between 0°N-22°N, 55°E-70°E (excluding the jurisdiction of the South Indian Ocean Fisheries Agreement);
- (3) From September 1st to November 30th, in the high seas of the Eastern Pacific Ocean between 5°N-5°S and 95°W-110°W.
All squid fishing, trawling, seining, laying nets, netting and other ocean-going fishing vessels (excluding tuna longline fishing and tuna seine fishing vessels) operating in the above-mentioned (1) (2) (3) sea areas (see the attached picture for details) ), uniformly implement voluntary fishing moratoriums, and stop all fishing operations during the moratorium period.
2. Implementation requirements
The implementation of voluntary fishing moratoriums on the high seas is an important measure to actively fulfill international obligations of diligence, scientifically conserve high seas fishery resources, and deeply participate in international ocean governance. Fishery authorities at all levels and relevant units must attach great importance to organizing and implementing the voluntary fishing moratorium on the high seas in 2023.
(1) Strengthen organizational leadership and policy publicity and implementation. Fishery authorities at all levels should strengthen organizational leadership and publicity and guidance, organize distant water fishery enterprises within their jurisdictions to actively implement, and effectively implement the main responsibility of enterprises. The China Pelagic Fisheries Association and the Pelagic Fisheries Training Center of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs should do a good job in coordinating services and training publicity to ensure that the fishing moratorium policy is properly publicized and implemented.
(2) Strengthen the monitoring and management of fishing vessels. During the voluntary fishing moratorium, all ocean-going fishing vessels such as squid fishing, trawling, seining, laying nets, and covering nets in my country are prohibited from fishing in the moratorium area. Fishing moratorium fishing vessels are not allowed to stay or pass through the moratorium area during the fishing moratorium period. If it is necessary to pass through the moratorium area due to emergency, it shall be reported according to the procedures. The China Ocean Fisheries Association should work with relevant units to strengthen ship position monitoring and management to ensure the smooth implementation of voluntary fishing moratoriums.
(3) Strengthen dynamic monitoring and assessment of fishery resources. China Ocean Fisheries Association, China Ocean Fisheries Data CenterIt is necessary to organize relevant scientific research units and pelagic fishery enterprises to establish a comprehensive scientific monitoring system for middle and pelagic fishery resources in closed fishing areas, and to reprint observer data through the establishment of production information ships, electronic fishing logs, scientific observers, scientific survey ships of fishery resources, and established transport ships. Collect mechanisms and other methods, formulate a thorough and scientific and effective work plan, do a good job in data collection and analysis of fishery biology and catch yield, and further track, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of fishing moratoriums to provide scientific basis for dynamic adjustment of voluntary fishing moratorium programs.
(4) Actively cooperate with international cooperation. Strengthen multilateral and bilateral cooperation and exchanges, inform relevant coastal countries and international regional fishery organizations of the implementation of China's independent fishing moratorium, share information data and fishing moratorium effects, build a platform for scientific conservation and management of high seas fishery resources, and achieve long-term sustainable development of high seas fisheries . China Pelagic Fisheries Association, Pelagic Fisheries International Convention Implementation Research Center and other relevant units are invited to actively cooperate in international cooperation and other aspects.